Pregnancy week 35 is a critical stage in an expecting woman involving rapid growth and development of the foetus. This is around seven months and three weeks of pregnancy The baby becomes plumper day by day and is the size of a honeydew melon or a pineapple.However,the baby at this stage is considered premature.This stage can be looked at in various aspects both in the mother and the baby as outlined below:
HOW YOUR BABY IS GROWING
During the pregnancy week 35,the baby’s growth progresses at a remarkable pace as the due date nears.During this week, the infant’s length is close to eighteen inches and weighs five to six pounds.He or she continues to build up necessary fat especially on the shoulders.The baby makes movements varying from punches and kicks to rolls and wriggles. However,somersaults are reduced due to the bigger size of the baby thus limiting the space in the womb.If its a baby boy,his testicles start to descend from his abdomen into his scrotum.The baby’s kidneys are fully developed and the liver can process waste products.The foetus is in the head-down position and the brain develops quickly.The skull remains soft and this is ideal during birth to allow the baby to squeeze more easily through the birth canal.
WEEK 35 PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS
The symptoms evident in pregnancy week 35 stage are:
- Frequent urination.This is because the baby is in the head-down position thus pressing on the bladder.
- Aches and pains in the hips and pelvis.This due to loosening of the the woman’s ligaments in preparation for the passage of the child during birth.
- Irregular and painful contractions.These are the Braxton Hicks’s contractions and causes the uterus to tighten for some minutes.They are unpredictable and are triggered by dehydration,sex,increased physical activities and a full bladder.
- Occasional headaches.They are triggered by overheating or stuffiness of a room.
- Aching and itching of the varicose veins on the legs.
- Bleeding of gums.This is due to inflammation of the gums which is triggered by the pregnancy hormones.
- Sore ribs.This is due to the baby’s kicking and it’s head-down position.
- The breasts become heavier and bigger and may be streaked with veins.
- Colostrum starts to leak out of the breasts.It may be found dried and crusted on the bra when the expectant woman takes off her bra.
- Nesting.It is manifested by the strong urge to clean and prepare a place for the baby
- Faster heart rates .
- Emotional meltdowns and gnawing sense of impatience.
- Swelling of the fingers,face and ankles.
- Shortness of breath.
- Pain on the lower back.
WEEK 35 PREGNANCY BELLY
The uterus at this stage is many times bigger than it’s normal size due to the massive development of the foetus. This leads to the huge size of the belly.The pregnant woman may experience mild tightness in the belly.The regular contractions also causes pain in the belly.The abdominal pains are caused by the stretching of the round ligaments,moving around of the baby,presence of gas in the stomach or contraction of the uterus.
WEEK 35 PREGNANCY ULTRASOUND
Ultrasound is a technology that is used to view a baby’s development in the womb.It uses high-frequency sound waves which are recorded and changed into video or photographic images of the baby.They are safer than X-rays because they don’t expose the baby to radiations.The procedure for ultrasound checking is simple.The technician applies water-soluble gel on the woman’s abdomen and moves a transducer over it.The transducer sends high-frequency sound waves into the body which reflects off the internal structures including the baby.The transducer receives the echoes and changes them into pictures or video on a screen.An ultrasound check is done at pregnancy week 35 to ensure that the baby development is going on smoothly paying close attention to the baby’s size,position and movements.The baby’s hearing is well developed at this stage and it responds well to the high-pitched noise.Through this technology,the doctor is able to view the baby’s heart,kidney,blood vessels,liver and other organs.
WEEK 35 PREGNANCY CHECKLIST
Pregnancy week 35 is one of the final stages of pregnancy .Therefore the checklist should revolve around preparation of the birth of the child.The reminders include:
- Group B strep test.The Group B streptococcus bacteria colonizes in the vagina.It can infect the baby if it’s left untreated.Therefore, the test should be done to check for the presence of the bacteria.
- A daily perineal massage in preparation for labor.
- Retrieving information about signs of labor.
- Choosing a pediatrician who will examine the baby while in the hospital.
- Organizing a support system of friends that will help you out when the baby is born.
The above outlined aspects of the pregnancy week 35 stage will be of much help to any woman regarding what to expect and to do during the stage.